I don’t know about you, but ever since I was a little girl I have always wanted to get married and I would only dream of the day when I would need to go and try all those pretty wedding dresses to find the one.
I know a lot of girls start their wedding dress shopping process literally a week after they get engaged; for me it wasn’t like that. Since we got engaged in November whilst we were on holidays I had all that month and December of not eating properly and exercising like twice a week so I knew I had put on some weight and I wasn’t exactly feeling 100% beautiful and I didn’t want to go try wedding dresses in that state of mind so I decided to wait a little bit so I could get back into my routine and start exercising again.
Since I’m not from Scotland I didn’t have any wedding dress boutique in mind or anything, I had to rely on google and people who had already been wedding dress shopping to get an idea. I found out about this place called WED2B and how their dresses are very trendy and luxurious for the price, I know a lot of people have found their wedding dress of dreams there so I thought I would definitely go there as I didn’t want to spend a small fortune in my dress.
After talking to some people that got their wedding dresses there I found out that WED2B basically has all the size of dresses in stock and it’s your luck if you go there and they have the dress you want in your size. If you are lucky enough to find the dress of your dreams on the day then you are ready to take it home with you. I was in love with one of the dresses from their platinum collection so I contacted their stores in Edinburgh and Glasgow and they both had it but neither of them had it in my size (or what I thought my size would be) they either had it in smaller sizes or bigger sizes. I was so upset about this as they told me they weren’t able to know when they would get more sizes for that specific dress as that’s not how it works.
After talking to my parents (they were the ones who kindly bought me my dress) and my fiancé about this I decided WED2B was not the place for me as I knew I would get totally discouraged, upset and stressed if I were to go and they didn’t have any of the dresses I like in stock and I would need to be going back and fort until I was able to get it in my size. I decided to then book an appointment for the Saturday 7th of April at this wedding dress boutique here in Scotland near me called Bijoux Bridal. I had seen some of their dresses on their Facebook page and Instagram and they had amazing designers and dresses so I was so excited for it. I booked my appointment through their website 2 months in advance and for those 2 months I was back doing my workout routines and healthy eating.
The day came and I woke up and my stomach was feeling all kinds of ways! I was nervous and excited and was honestly hoping that the appointment would go smoothly. Since I don’t have any of my family here in Scotland I asked some lovely ladies from my future family if they would go with me and help me. My mother in law, my 2 sisters in law and a friend were there for me to help me find my dream dress. Once we got to the boutique I couldn’t believe how beautiful it was! It’s their newest boutique and it’s just so elegant and girly.
As soon as we got there everyone was so lovely and the girl that was going to be helping me that day introduced herself and said she had taken the liberty to book the private area for us! I didn’t even know they had a private room so of course I was chuffed about that.
Straight away they asked if we wanted drinks and I got some prosecco and everyone else got some cupcakes which were raspberry ripple and apparently were so good but I was a nervous I couldn’t think of food 🙈.
I don’t know if this is how it is in every place but the way I started was that I would go around the place and choose 5 dresses that I wanted to try at first and then we would take it from there. I found that this is a good ideas as sometimes I know girls can get very overwhelmed by all choices specially if you don’t have any ideas of what you want your dress to look like. Also the boutique has so many dresses that it can be overwhelming! They have the dresses divided into styles so that also is very helpful whilst deciding which ones to try on first.
I had been looking online and I knew exactly the type of dress that I wanted and knew exactly what I didn’t like. I chose 3 dresses that I had seen on their Facebook and loved them and chose 2 that I didn’t want but Rebecca (the girl at the boutique) suggested that it is smart to try them even though you think you won’t like them and dresses look so different once you put them on so I agreed. I know a lot of girls have told me that in the end the dress they chose was nothing like what they had in mind so I thought it was worth giving it a shot.
Rebecca was with me in the dressing room and I was a bit self conscious at first but she made me feel so comfortable and she was honestly so lovely and helpful as they deal with this on a daily basis. I tried first the 3 dresses I wasn’t crazy about and showed everyone and we all agreed they were a big fat NO 😂 – I didn’t want anything too pricessy or puffy cause it totally made me feel like a huge cupcake and didn’t accentuate my body at all, it looked so weird. Then I tried my third dress and it was a beautiful Bardot style dress with a fishtail silhouette and I really liked it. I came out and everyone really liked it but I was still not 100% happy with it and the other dress was literally the same but just different lace appliqués so then Rebecca came back with a dress she thought it would look really nice on me and had some of the things I really wanted to have in my dress.
This was amazing as boutiques have hundreds of dresses and it can get crazy! Specially at Bijoux Bridal as they have so many beautiful dresses – just look at these 😍
She came back with the dress and from the moment I tried it on I knew it was the one, I fell in love instantly!!! Once I came out from the changing room and I could see everyone’s faces lit up I knew I had found my dress! Rebecca then came back with 2 different veils and a bouquet so I could imagine how it would look like on my Wedding day. That’s something really good to as they have so many veils and accessories for your dress there as well.
As my mum was back in Mexico I kept FaceTiming her whilst we were there so I FaceTimed her with the veil and bouquet and everything to show her my dress again and once she saw me she started crying, then I started crying and everyone got so emotional and I said YES TO THE DRESS!! One of the best moment so far 👰🏻✨
I’m honestly obsessed with my wedding dress and cannot wait to go back in October and try it again! I know they have ordered it in my size already and it takes a while to get it as they need to make it and it’s coming from London but the good thing is that I have lost weight since the appointment and they are going to be able to fit it exactly to my size and my body, something that I was not able to do if I had gone toWED2B. My dress is from the designer Justin Alexander and it’s honestly a piece of art! I’m not going to tell you exactly what my wedding dress looks like as I want it to be a surprise but it does have like 90% of the things I wanted! I can honestly say I felt like a million bucks and I would have married my love there and then! I’m a very happy girl!
The dress was more expensive than what I was originally planning to spend on it but honestly I just wanted to feel confident and the most beautiful girl in the world l, that is worth every penny in my opinion 👰🏻💗
I was very excited about it but also nervous about going wedding dress shopping as I know a lot of girls go to 3+ boutiques and can try more than 20 dresses and they still can’t decide on a dress. I’m usually the kind of person that if I’m trying on clothes and I feel horrible that day I can try whatever and even though it fits me I still feel like everything looks horrible so I didn’t want that to happen whilst doing something so special as wedding dress shopping. I was also nervous about not liking any of the dresses and I didn’t want to end the appointment feeling disappointed and with no dress. But honestly I just let it flow and the 4th and last dress I tried on was the one.
Things I learnt
I know going wedding dress shopping can be daunting for some so I wanted just to share some thing that may help you along the process and to make it a special and happy experience.
1. Bring someone with you who is going to be honest. I know some are different when it comes to this but for me it was really important that they we completely honest and told me if the dresses looked good on me and my figure.
2. Have a budget. I know I did say that my dress was more expensive than what I wanted to but as my parents loved the dress and said the price was fine I was able to get it but I know not everyone can do this so having a budget helps as you don’t want to try on dresses that are way too expensive and out of your budget as you won’t be able to buy it. If you do try them and you fall in love with one of them and you can’t get it you’ll get upset and heartbroken.
3. Bring pictures of dresses you like. I know some girls can be indecisive but if you bring some inspo of dresses you like they’ll be able to help you decide on what dresses you could try so it’s best to be prepared.
4. Have an open mind. Like I said, I know a lot of brides have gone wedding dress shopping with something in their head and ended up choosing something totally different! Most of the time people at the boutiques know what would look best on you so just give it a go and try things! Dresses can look so different once you wear them.
5. Love the way you look in the dress as you look in that moment. This is a VERY very important one. I know all brides start exercising and dieting months or even years before the wedding day but something that I found whilst talking to some brides on instagram is that some of them didn’t like the way they looked with the dress they bought but they still bought it expecting to lose weight and love the way it looks. Now, I’m all for having inspiration and targets but sometimes life is not how we expect and you can still feel shit after losing all the weight or you didn’t lose all the way you wanted so you are then stuck with a dress that you don’t like how it looks on you. Some of them even had to buy a new dress so just imagine all the money that has been lost that could have been for the wedding or honeymoon. Just embrace yourself and think “if I was to get married right now would I absolutely love the way I look?” If the answer is yes then that’s the one! 🙌🏻
6. Bring the proper underwear. Of course you don’t want to try on dresses with a black bra or an electric pink colour under it do you? So just wear something that is nude or white so you are able to see the dress better. You can even wear your spandex if you want to!
7. Make sure you don’t eat anything that will make you bloated the night before or on the day. For me this is something that constantly happens so I was drinking tons of water and had super healthy food before going.
8. Buy your dress somewhere where they can make adjustments for you. This might not be for everyone as I know some brides have been a size 8 all their life and can get away with buying their dress 2 years in advance but for some this is very important as if your goal is to go from a size 16 to a 10 on your wedding day then you’ll definitely need to adjust your dress.
Overall my wedding dress shopping experience was amazing and I loved every minute of it. Bijoux Bridal was unbelievable and went the extra mile to make us all feel welcome and comfortable. Not only was Rebecca a total doll but she literally chose my wedding dress so I’m so grateful I had her on the day. If you live on Scotland I would totally recommend going there as they have amazing designers and the service is the ultimate luxury bridal experience. You can have a look at their website and book appointments there too.
I’ll just share a few more pictures of the day and boutique because how can you not when the boutique looks this beautiful!
Hopefully sharing my experience has been interesting and hopefully it helps any other bride out there or just for anyone who might become a bride in the future. Let me know what you think and if you are as excited as I am for my wedding day!
Talk to you soon 🌟
– P xx